this bombay veg sandwich is a popular mumbai street food of delicious sandwiches made with mix vegetables, green chutney and a few spice powders.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time35 mins
for vegetable sandwich
- 10 slices white or brown bread
- 2 small to medium potatoes, boiled and sliced into rounds
- 1 medium sized beetroot, boiled and thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 small to medium onion,
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- butter softened and at room temperature, salted or unsalted, as required
- chaat masala as required
- black salt to taste
- roasted cumin powder as required- optional
- freshly ground black pepper , optional
- tomato ketchup or sauce to be served with the sandwiches
for making coriander chutney
- 1 cup tightly packed coriander leaves or ¾ cup coriander leaves and ¼ cup mint leaves
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala powder or add as required
- 1 green chilies, you can also add 2 green chilies
- salt or black salt as per taste
- 1 teaspoon water for grinding, optional
making chutney for vegetable sandwich
in a mixie or blender, take 1 cup tightly packed coriander leaves, ½ tsp chaat masala powder and 1 to 2 green chilies
just add a pinch or two of salt as chaat masala already has salt in it.
grind the chutney ingredients till smooth. no need to add water. but if you cannot grind, then add 1 or 2 tsp of water.
collect the coriander chutney in a bowl.
check the taste and add more salt if required.
cover and keep the chutney aside if you are making veg sandwiches immediately or else refrigerate.
preparing vegetables for bread sandwich
boil or steam the beetroot and potatoes till they are tender.
once cooled, thinly slice the beetroot and slice the potatoes.
peel and thinly slice onion and cucumber.
thinly slice the tomatoes as well.
making vegetable sandwich
trim the edges of the bread slices if you want.
butter the bread slices evenly and very well.
now apply the coriander chutney to the slices.
place all the veggie slices one by one.
sprinkle the black salt and chaat masala on each one of them or alternately.
cover the sandwich with the other bread slices.
slice the veg sandwich into triangles and rectangles.
serve bombay veg sandwich immediately with tomato ketchup and the coriander chutney.
- you can cook the potato in the microwave. wash the potato well. prick the potatoes with a fork and microwave in the oven for 4-5 minutes.
- when the beetroot & potatoes are getting cooked, you can slice the other vegetables and make the chutney.
- you can use whole wheat bread or brown bread or multigrain bread or white bread. but the best taste in veg sandwich comes with white bread.
- dairy butter is used in these veg sandwiches. but you could easily use vegan butter.
- you can also toast these veg sandwiches if you prefer.
Calories: 320kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 13mg | Sodium: 1619mg | Potassium: 834mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 755IU | Vitamin C: 24.3mg | Calcium: 225mg | Iron: 6.6mg