maa ki dal recipe
black gram dal or kali dal recipe - maa ki dal is a popular and delicious punjabi dal recipe made with sabut urad dal.
Prep Time35 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 1 cup whole black lentils (sabut urad dal or black gram)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, pureed - yields approx 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 to 3 medium garlic cloves, (lahsun) crushed
- 1 inch ginger (adrak) crushed
- 1 green chili (hari mirch) finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 tablespoon oil or ghee or butter
- 3 to 3.5 cups water
- salt as required
- coriander leaves for garnishing
pick the sabut urad dal and rinse in water for 2-3 times and soak it in water for 30 to 40 minutes. you can also soak the lentils for 4 to 5 hours or overnight, depending on the quality of dal. if the lentils are old or near expiry date, then soak overnight.
later drain the soaked sabut urad dal.
making maa ki dal
heat ghee, add cumin seeds. when they sizzle, add chopped onions. fry the onions till brown.
add the pureed tomatoes and mix well.
add the crushed ginger-garlic or ginger-garlic paste.
add the all the dry spice powders. add chopped green chilies.
saute the masala till the oil starts to leave.
add the soaked sabut urad dal (black gram). add water and salt.
cooking maa ki dal
cover the pressure cook for about 15 to 18 whistles or 18 to 20 minutes or till the maa ki dal or lentils have become soft and buttery. if still they are not cooked well, then continue to pressure cook for a few more whistles.
if the dal looks thin, then simmer without the lid, till it reaches the desired consistency.
garnish maa ki dal with coriander leaves.
serve maa ki dal hot with naan, kulcha, rotis or plain boiled rice.
- you can make this maa ki dal less spicy or more spicy by adjusting the proportion of red chili powder and green chilies.
- also this dal can be made thick or thin depending on what you prefer.