sweet and sour vegetables recipe - stir fried veggies in a sweet and sour sauce. a popular indo chinese recipe.
course: main course
cuisine: indo chinese
servings: 3 to 4
- 1 small to medium carrot, chopped
- 7 to 9 french beans, sliced diagonally
- a small head of cauliflower or broccoli, chopped - approx 1.5 cup cauliflower florets
- 3 to 4 button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium onion, quartered and the layers separated
- 1 medium bell pepper (capsicum or shimla mirch)- red or green or yellow, chopped or cut into 1 inch squares
- ½ tablespoon finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon naturally fermented soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider or white vinegar
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped (lahsun)
- ½ inch ginger, finely chopped (adrak)
- ½ to 1 tablespoon sugar or as required
- 1.5 to 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoon corn starch (corn flour) dissolved in ½ cup water
- salt as required
- black pepper as required
rinse, peel and chop all the veggies first.
quarter the onion and separate the layers.
heat 2 to 3 cups water with 1 tsp salt till the water starts boiling.
add the carrots, french beans, cauliflower to the hot water.
switch off the fire and cover and keep aside for 5-10 minutes.
drain and keep aside.
if you want to preserve the colors of the veggies, then just drain and keep the veggies in cold water.
making sweet and sour vegetables recipe:
heat oil in a wok or kadai.
add the chopped ginger and garlic and stir fry on high flame for half a minute.
then add the onions and stir fry for 2-3 minutes on a high flame.
add the bell pepper and mushrooms and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
then add the blanched veggies - cauliflower, french beans and carrots and stir fry for another 2-3 minutes.
add the celery and stir fry for a minute. in a small bowl, mix the soy sauce and tomato sauce.
add these two sauces to the veggies. stir and season with pepper, sugar and salt.
stir and add 2 cups of water or veg stock.
let the sauce get heated through and come to a simmer.
dissolve the 2 tbsp corn starch with 1/2 cup water to a smooth paste
add the corn starch paste to the veggies and stir briskly so that no lumps are formed.
simmer till the corn starch gets cooked in the sauce and the sauce thickens.
lastly add the apple cider or vinegar.
stir through and serve sweet and sour vegetables hot with veg fried rice or steamed rice or plain noodles.
- you can alter the sugar in the recipe as per your taste buds. also depends on the sweetness in the tomato sauce.
- even the vinegar & soy sauce can be adjusted as per your requirements.