solkadhi is a digestive and cooling drink from goan cuisine.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time5 mins
soaking time30 mins
Total Time10 mins
for the sol kadi
- 12 dried kokums
- 1 cup water - for soaking
- 2 cups water - to be added later
- 1 to 1.5 cups thick coconut milk or half-half of thick coconut milk and thin coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves, for garnish
- salt as required
for tempering sol kadhi
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves or 9 to 10 curry leaves
- 1 generous pinch asafoetida
- 2 to 3 small to medium garlic cloves, slightly crushed
- 1 to 2 dry kashmiri red chilies - halved and seeds removed
crushing kokum to make sol kadi
after 30 minutes, crush and squeeze kokum completely with your fingers in the water itself.
pour the kokum extract in a strainer. keep a bowl beneath the strainer.
the kokum shreds will collect in the strainer.
press the kokum shreds with a spoon so that the kokum flavors are extracted well.
making sol kadhi
then add 2 cups water to the kokum extract.
next add 1 cup thick coconut milk – either make the coconut milk or use the ready made one. you can also add 1.5 cups of coconut milk. mix very well.
add salt as per taste. mix again well. keep aside so that we prepare the tempering.
making tempering for solkadi
heat 1.5 tablespoons oil in a tadka pan or a small pan.
add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds. let them crackle.
then add 1 tsp cumin and let them crackle too.
lastly add 1 sprig curry leaves, 1 to 2 dry red chilies (broken and seeds removed), 2 to 3 lightly crushed small to medium sized garlic cloves (with or without peels) and 1 generous pinch of asafoetida powder. you can crush the garlic cloves in a mortar-pestle.
fry for some seconds till the garlic turns light golden. quickly pour this tempering on the kokum+coconut milk mixture. mix well.
then add 1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander leaves to sol kadi and mix again.
serve sol kadhi straight way or refrigerate and then serve cold. you can garnish sol kadhi with coriander leaves before serving.
to make coconut milk:-
- 1 cup grated coconut and ½ to ¾ cup water.
- grind the grated coconut with water and squeeze out the thick milk with a strainer.
- add the extracted coconut again back to the grinder. add some water and then make the thin milk. strain again and squeeze the coconut completely.
- you can add both the thick and thin milk to the kokum extract.
Calories: 254kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Sodium: 33mg | Potassium: 90mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 31g | Vitamin A: 7.3% | Vitamin C: 66.2% | Calcium: 4.6% | Iron: 9.8%