chilli cheese toast
chilli cheese toast on tawa - tasty cheese toast spiced with chilies and ginger. an easy breakfast to prepare and serve.
Prep Time4 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time14 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- 6 to 7 slices of brown bread or whole wheat bread
- ½ cup tightly packed grated cheese - mozzarella, cheddar or regular cheese
- 1 green chili (hari mirch) - finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon grated or minced ginger (adrak)
- salt as required (optional)
- black pepper as required
- salted butter at room temperature for spreading on the bread as required
preparation for chilli cheese toast
making chilli cheese toast
place the bread on a rack or tray and bake or grill in a pre heated oven at 200 degrees C for 5-6 minutes till lightly toasted.
no need to brown the edges of the bread. just a little crispness on the surfaces.
keep an eye while toasting the bread slices.
remove and keep the bread with an oven mitt or spatula on a tray or plate.
spread some butter evenly on the slices. then spread the cheese-chili-ginger mixture evenly.
again bake or grill in the pre heated oven at 200 degrees C for 7-10 mins or more till the cheese melts and the bread slices get golden and crisp. you can also brown the cheese more if you want.
keep an eye and make sure the bread does not get burnt.
serve the cheese chilli toast with tomato sauce.
tips for making cheese chilli toast
1. for making the toast sandwich in a sandwich maker or grill
- add salt carefully as the butter and cheese already has salt.
- if making for kids, then skip the green chilies or reduce the amount of chopped chilies.
- garlic can be added instead of ginger.
2. for making cheese chilli toast on a tava
- apply butter on both the slices.
- spread the cheese-chili-ginger filling on one slice.
- cover with the other buttered slice and toast the sandwich in a sandwich maker or toaster.
- first spread butter only one side of the bread slices.
- then facing the buttered side on the pan or tawa, lightly toast the bread.
- meanwhile spread some butter on the top side.
- when the bread is lightly toasted, turn over.
- spread some of the cheese-chili-ginger filling.
- cover the pan with lid and toast till cheese melts.