This is an easy to prepare spicy and tasty mushroom chilli recipe. This is a popular indo chinese starter snack.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- 200 to 250 grams White button mushrooms Or baby portabella mushrooms Or about 7 to 8.5 ounces
- 1 Medium onion Or 1 to 2 spring onions whites - halved or quartered and the layers removed, reserve the greens for garnish
- 2 to 3 Green chilies - slit
- 1 Small capsicum Chopped into squares (optional). You can use red or green or yellow capsicum (bell pepper or shimla mirch)
- 7 to 8 Garlic cloves - finely chopped
- 1 inch Ginger - finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Naturally fermented soy sauce Or as required
- ½ tablespoon Sesame oil Or any veg oil for the sauce
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon Corn flour
- 1 to 2 teaspoon Water
- ½ to 1 teaspoon Sugar Or as required
- Salt and pepper as required
- Oil for deep frying the mushrooms
- 5 to 6 tablespoon Whole wheat flour Or all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoon Corn flour
- ¼ teaspoon Crushed black pepper Or add as required
- Salt as required
- Water as required to make a medium consistency batter
Rinse and wipe dry the mushrooms. Trim the stalks.
Halve them if big in size and quarter them if smaller in size.
Make a flowing medium consistency batter with the ingredients listed above "for the batter".
Heat oil for shallow frying in a kadai or wok.
Dip each mushroom slice in the batter and coat uniformly with the batter.
Add them to the medium hot oil and fry till they are slight golden and crisp.
Fry the mushrooms in batches and drain on paper towels to remove excess oil.
making chilli mushroom
In another wok (kadai) or pan, heat sesame oil.
Add the onions (and capsicum if adding them) and stir fry on medium or high heat for a minute.
Add the ginger, garlic and green chilies.
Stir fry on a high flame till you see the onions getting browned at the edges.
Add the soy sauce, salt, sugar, pepper and stir fry for half a minute.
Add the fried batter coated mushrooms and stir on a low to medium flame
Sprinkle about 1 to 2 tsp water and 1/2 to 3/4 tsp corn flour on the mushrooms.
Saute for a minute or two. Continue to stir. This gives a nice glaze to the mushrooms.
Switch off the flame and serve the chili mushroom hot with veg fried rice, bread or even chapatis or naan.
You can also garnish it with spring onion greens while serving.
Calories: 362kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 4154mg | Potassium: 648mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1865IU | Vitamin C: 90.8mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 1.9mg