paneer do pyaza
paneer do pyaza recipe - soft succulent paneer cubes in a creamy semi dry gravy with double the amount of onions
Prep Time40 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
main ingredients for paneer do pyaza
- 250 grams paneer (cottage cheese)
- 2 medium sized onions for blanching and sauteing Or 75 to 80 grams Onions, you can also add 5 to 6 button onions or small pearl onions
- 2 medium sized onions, finely chopped Or 75 to 80 grams onions, Or about ½ to 2/3 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 medium tomatoes Or 75 to 80 grams tomatoes
- ½ inch ginger + 2 small garlic cloves, made into a paste in a mortar-pestle or ½ teaspoon ginger garlic paste (adrak lahsun ka paste)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 pinches of nutmeg powder (jaiphal powder)
- 3 tablespoon low fat cream, 25% to 35% fat
- 1 teaspoon butter for sauteing the blanched onions
- 1.5 tablespoon oil for the remaining gravy
- salt as required
whole spices for paneer do pyaza
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 3 green cardamoms (hari elaichi or choti elaichi)
- 2 to 3 cloves (lavang)
- 1 single strand of mace (javitri)
- 1 medium tej patta or 2 small tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 2 to 3 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch)
- 1 teaspoon ginger julienne, optional
- ½ to 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1 to 2 teaspoon grated paneer (cottage cheese)
preparation for paneer do pyaza
peel and rinse the onions. rinse the tomatoes. halve or quarter the onions.
you can also use pearl or button onions instead of regular onions
blanch halved or quartered onions and tomatoes in hot water. for this method, first boil water in a pan till the water begins to boil.
add the onions and tomatoes and let them cook for a minute or two. then switch off the flame.
cover the pan and let the onions and tomatoes blanch in the hot water for about 20 to 25 minutes.
drain and once the onions are cooled, remove the individual onion layers and keep aside.
making paneer do pyaza
heat 1 tsp butter in a pan.
add the onion layers and saute till they are lightly browned from the edges. keep aside.
peel the skin from the blanched tomatoes and chop them finely. also chop two medium onions finely.
heat oil in the same pan. add whole spices - cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves, mace, bay leaf and dry red chilies. saute the spices till aromatic.
add chopped onions. stir and saute the onions till they become golden.
add tomatoes and stir. then add ginger-garlic paste. stir the masala mixture very well and saute on a low flame till oil begins to release from the sides.
the tomatoes should soften and be completely cooked.
add ground spices - coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, black pepper powder, nutmeg powder and garam masala powder.
you can also add red chili powder if you prefer. about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of red chili powder can be added, depending on your taste.
stir the spices very well. then add the blanched & sauteed onion layers. stir and saute for 2 minutes.
then add paneer cubes.
season with salt and stir everything well. cook the paneer for about 2 minutes.
add low fat cream. stir gently and cook for a minute.
you can also add kasuri methi. add about 1/2 tsp of crushed kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves).
garnish paneer do pyaza with coriander leaves, ginger julienne or some grated paneer.
serve paneer do pyaza hot or warm with chapatis, rotis or naan.