chana dal pakoda
chana dal pakoda recipe - crisp and soft pakoras or fritters made with ground bengal gram.
Prep Time4 hrs
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time4 hrs 30 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
for grinding pakora batter
- ½ cup chana dal (bengal gram)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 to 3 small garlic cloves (lahsun) - roughly chopped
- ½ inch ginger (adrak) - roughly chopped
- 1 green chili (hari mirch) - roughly chopped
- 1.5 to 2 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 pinch baking soda (optional)
- 1.5 to 2 tablespoon water for grinding
other ingredients for pakora
- 2 tablespoon chopped onion - to be added later to the ground batter
- ½ to ¾ tablespoon chopped coriander leaves - can also be added later in the batter
- salt as required
- oil for deep frying or shallow frying
making chana dal pakora batter
pick and then rinse the dal for a couple of times in water.
soak the chana dal in enough water for 3 to 4 hours or overnight.
drain the soaked dal and add them to the grinder.
add 1.5 to 2 tbsp chopped onion along with the chopped green chilies, ginger and garlic, asafoetida, fennel seeds, cumin seeds in the grinder.
add 1.5 to 2 tbsp water and grind to a smooth batter.
take the ground batter in a bowl. add 2 tbsp chopped onion and salt.
also add a pinch of baking soda if using. mix the batter very well.
making chana dal pakora
heat oil for deep frying in a pan or kadai.
drop spoonfuls of the batter in medium hot oil.
fry the chana dal pakoras till crisp and golden.
drain the pakoras on paper towels to remove excess oil.
serve chana dal pakoras hot or warm with green chutney or coconut chutney or tomato ketchup.