choliya pulao recipe
CHoliya rice recipe - simple and easy pulao made from rice and fresh green chickpeas.
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
- 1 cup fresh green chickpeas or choliya
- 1.25 cups basmati rice or long grained rice
- 1.5 cups water for pressure cooking the choliya initially
- 1.75 cups water for pressure cooking the rice
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 2 cloves (lavang)
- 1 cinnamon (dalchini)
- 1 green cardamom (choti elaichi)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (sabut jeera)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 3 tablespoon oil
preparation to make choliya pulao
Rinse the rice in water till the water runs clean of the starch.
Soak rice in enough water for 30 mins. rinse the chickpeas.
Drain and then first cook the choliya or green chickpeas with 1.5 cups water in a pressure cooker for 2 to 3 whistles.
Once the pressure settles remove and drain the chickpeas. discard the water.
making choliya pulao
Use the same cooker for making the pulao. add oil in the cooker.
Fry all the whole spices till aromatic. add asafoetida and stir.
Add onions and saute them till golden.
Add the drained and cooked choliya or green chickpeas.
Stir and saute for a minute.
Drain the rice and add.
Stir and saute the rice for a few seconds. add water and salt.
Stir well and pressure cook the pulao for 2 whistles on a medium to high flame.
Once the pressure settles down, on its own, remove the lid and fluff the rice gently.
Serve choliya pulao hot with plain yogurt or a onion-tomato raita or vegetable raita.
You can also garnish the pulao with coriander leaves if you prefer.