ponk chaat recipe - a savory mixture made with tender jowar or sorghum also known as hurda in marathi language. nutritious, vegan and gluten free snack.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time4 mins
Total Time9 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- 1 cup hurda (ponk or fresh tender jowar or sorghum)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili (hari mirch) - chopped
- 1 small to medium tomato, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 teaspoon green chutney (optional)
- 2 to 3 teaspoon sweet tamarind chutney (optional)
- a few drops of lemon juice or as required
- 2 to 3 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- sev (gram flour vermicelli) - as required
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon chaat masala or as required
- black salt or rock salt as required
preparation to make hurda bhel
rinse the hurda in water for a couple of times. use a fine strainer to rinse these tender jowar.
heat a pan. add the tender jowar and roast for 3-4 minutes on a low flame stirring often.
you can also sprinkle some water and roast the jowar. they have a nice aroma.
remove and keep aside.
making hurda bhel
in a mixing bowl, add the chopped onion, tomatoes, green chili, the chutneys, salt, roasted cumin powder and chaat masala.
add the roasted jowar. mix well. taste and add more salt, chaat masala or chutneys if required.
serve hurda bhel in individual bowls or plates.
sprinkle few drops of lemon juice on each serving topped with chopped coriander leaves and sev.
serve the hurda bhel immediately.