Easy and delicious recipe of quick barfi made with khoya or mawa.
Prep Time6 mins
Cook Time14 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 14 to 15 barfi slices
- 250 grams unsweetened khoya (mawa or dried evaporated milk solids)
- 5 tablespoon sugar or add as required
- 3 to 4 green cardamoms (choti elaichi) - powdered in a small grinder or mortar-pestle. (about ¼ to 1/3 teaspoon of cardamom powder, husks removed)
- 12 to 15 pistachios (pista) - finely chopped
- 12 to 15 almonds (badam) or cashews (kaju) - finely chopped
- a pinch of saffron (kesar) - optional
- 1 to 1.5 teaspoon milk - optional
- ¼ to 1/3 teaspoon ghee for greasing the pan or tray
preparation for barfi recipe
First grate or crumble the unsweetened khoya.
In a small bowl dissolve a few saffron strands in 1 tsp of milk. This is an optional step.
Grease a bit of ghee, on a butter paper lined on a tray or on a thali/tray.
making barfi recipe
Add the grated khoya in a thick bottomed pan.
Begin to cook on a low flame for 2 to 3 minutes stirring often.
Switch off the flame and add sugar.
Stir. Then turn on the flame. The whole mixture's consistency will become smooth and slightly thin, due to the sugar getting melted.
Stir often and continue to cook on a low flame.
When the mixture becomes slightly thick and starts leaving the sides of the pan, as you see in the pic in step number 9, its time for the next step.
Avoid cooking too much as then the barfi will have a chewy texture. The time taken to get this texture right from the time, sugar is added is about 8 to 9 minutes on a low flame. The time will vary a couple of minutes here and there, depending on the size, type, quality of the pan and intensity of the flame.
Add chopped dry fruits (almonds, pistachios) or your choice of dry fruits. Also add cardamom powder.
Stir and cook for a minute. Switch off the flame.
Pour the entire barfi mixture in the greased pan or butter paper.
Spread evenly keeping 1 inch thickness at the edges.
Sprinkle the saffron scented milk on the burfi.
Once the burfi cools down, slice into squares or diamond shapes.
Serve barfi immediately. You can also store them in an airtight box. These barfi stay good for about 4 to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Calories: 95kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 48mg | Potassium: 14mg | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 85IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 125mg | Iron: 0.1mg