sama chawal khichdi
samvat rice khichdi recipe - savory porridge made with barnyard millet and potatoes.
Prep Time1 hr
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time1 hr 35 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
- 1 cup sama ke chawal (barnyard millet or samvat rice)
- ½ cup cubed potatoes (aloo)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper (kuti hui kalimirch) - crushed in a mortar-pestle
- 1 to 1.5 teaspoon ginger-green chili paste (adrak aur hari mirch ka paste) Or ½ inch ginger and 1-2 green chilies - crushed in a mortar-pestle
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoon ghee or peanut oil (moonghphali ka tel)
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- rock salt (sendha namak) as required
in a bowl, soak the sama chawal for an hour. drain and then keep aside.
in a thick bottomed pan heat 2 tbsp ghee or peanut oil. add 1 tsp cumin seeds.
fry the cumin seeds till they change color.
now add 1 to 1.5 tsp ginger+green chili paste and 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper. saute till the raw aroma of both the green chilies and ginger goes away.
then add 1/2 cup potato cubes. stir and saute for two to three minutes.
then add the drained sama chawal. stir and saute for a minute.
add 3 cups water. stir again. 3 cups water makes the khichdi mushy, which we prefer. if you want separate grains then just add 1.5 to 2 cups water.
season with rock salt/sendha namak and stir well.
cover the pan with a lid and on a low flame allow the grains to simmer and get cooked.
do check and stir at intervals.
once the grains have softened and cooked well, switch off the flame. you can add about 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves here and mix. also if you prefer, you can add some lemon juice. since i was serving the khichdi with vrat ki kadhi which is also sour, i did not add lemon juice.
serve samvat rice khichdi topped with a bit of ghee and garnished with coriander leaves with vrat ki kadhi, peanut kadhi or any curry meant for fasting. you can also have this sama chawal khichdi with plain yogurt.
Calories: 341kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 796mg | Potassium: 157mg | Vitamin A: 285IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 5.5mg