easy to make kulfi with khoya (evaporated milk) and dry fruits.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- 3 cups full fat whole milk or 750 ml
- 75 to 80 grams mawa (khoya or evaporated milk) - about 3.5 to 4 tablespoon mawa
- 2 to 3 tablespoon organic unrefined cane sugar or regular sugar - adjust as required. (i added 3 tablespoon of unrefined cane sugar)
- 1.5 tablespoon rice flour or 1 tablespoon corn flour
- 3 tablespoon milk to dissolve the rice flour or corn flour
- 20 shelled unsalted pistachios (pista)
- 20 almonds (badam)
- 4 green cardamoms (choti elaichi) - powdered in a mortar-pestle
- 1 teaspoon kewra water (pandanus or screw pine) or rose water or a drop of kewra essence or rose essence
- 2 pinch of saffron (kesar) - crushed
reducing milk and preparation for kulfi recipe
in a wide pan or kadai, heat milk on a sim or low flame for at least about 18 to 20 mins. the milk will reduce and thicken in this period of time.
grate the khoya or crumble it very well. keep aside. powder the pistachios and almonds to a semi fine consistency in a dry grinder or in a mortar-pestle. keep both of them aside.
crush the cardamom pods in a mortar-pestle and powder finely. discard the husks.
dissolve the rice flour or corn starch in 3 tbsp milk. mix very well. keep aside.
making kulfi recipe
after 18 to 20 minutes, add the sugar and stir.
let the sugar dissolve and after 3 to 4 mins, add the rice flour paste or corn starch paste.
keep on stirring after adding the paste, so that no lumps are formed.
the whole mixture has to be lump free, so keep on stirring.
after 4 to 5 mins, when the mixture has thickened, add the khoya (mawa), powdered almonds and pistachios along with cardamom powder.
stir very well and just simmer for a minute or two on a low flame. keep on stirring so that the khoya (mawa) is distributed evenly.
switch off the flame.
add the kewra (pandanus or screwpine) water or rose water and crushed saffron.
let the kulfi mixture cool.
then pour the kulfi mixture in kulfi moulds or in serving bowls or in a tray.
freeze the kulfi.
once the kulfi is well set, unmould the kulfi sliding a butter knife at the edges. remove on a plate. slice the kulfi and serve immediately. you can also serve kulfi directly in the serving bowls or glasses.