hurda bhajji is easy to make crisp golden fritters with tender sorghum.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
- 1 cup hurda (tender jowar or sorghum grains or ponk)
- 1 cup besan (gram flour)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili (hari mirch) - chopped
- ½ inch ginger (adrak) - finely chopped or grated
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 pinch turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 2/3 to ¾ cup water or as required
- salt as required
- oil for deep frying or shallow frying
making hurda bhajji batter
rinse the hurda or tender jowar very well in water. drain and keep aside.
finely chop the onions, ginger and green chili.
mix everything in a bowl to a smooth batter except the oil.
frying hurda bhajji
heat the oil for deep frying or shallow frying in a kadai or pan.
drop spoonfuls of the batter in medium hot oil.
fry the hurda bhajji or pakora till golden and crisp.
drain the bhajji on paper towels to remove excess oil.
serve hurda bhajji hot or warm with green chutney, peanut thecha or tamarind chutney or tomato ketchup.