boondi raita recipe
boondi raita - a north indian raita made with spiced yogurt and boondi - crisp fried gram flour balls.
Prep Time20 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- ½ cup plain salted boondi
- 1 cup curd (dahi or yogurt) - vegan or dairy
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon chaat masala
- ½ teaspoon saunf powder (fennel powder) - optional
- ½ teaspoon bhuna jeera powder (roasted cumin powder)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch powder)
- 2 to 3 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta) or mint leaves (pudina patta)
- a few coriander leaves or mint leaves for garnish
- black salt or rock salt as required
preparation to make boondi raita
first warm water in a pan on stove top or in the microwave.
add the boondi in the warm water and let them get soaked for 9 to 12 minutes.
drain this water and lightly press the boondi in your palms, to squeeze the water from them. don't mash them up.
making boondi raita
whisk the curd in a bowl.
add the boondi and mix.
add all the dry spice powders, chopped mint leaves/coriander leaves, including salt. stir the raita well.
garnish boondi raita with mint leaves or coriander leaves.
the boondi raita can be served cold or at room temperature. they go well with biryani or pulao or any rich based dishes like jeera rice.
- if the yogurt is thick, then whisk with some water to make a slightly thin consistency.
- the spice powders can be adjusted as per your taste.