palak saag recipe
palak saag recipe - authentic punjabi palak saag recipe in microwave oven and in cooking gas
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time50 mins
For the Saag:
- 2 bunch of spinach (palak), chopped
- 2 to 3 radish with tender leaves (mooli), chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 medium size tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 inch ginger (adrak), chopped
- 5 to 6 small to medium garlic cloves (lahsun), chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon maize flour (makki ka atta)
- ½ cup water
- salt as required
For tempering the saag for 2-3 servings:
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped enough for saag meant for 2 people
- 1 small green chili, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger, optional
- 1 to 2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
Preparing the Saag:
combine all the greens, onions, tomatoes, ginger-garlic-chili with water in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 7-8 minutes on high power.
add the butter, maize flour, salt and chili powder.
microwave again on medium power for 12-15 minutes.
when cooled, blend the whole mixture coarsely or smoothly... whatever you prefer.
microwave the pureed mixture for 4-5 minutes on medium power.
Preparing the Tempering for 2-3 servings:
in another microwave safe bowl, take some ghee and microwave for 1-2 minutes.
add the onions and microwave for 7-8 minutes till they get light browned.
add the 2-3 small bowls of saag to the browned onions and microwave for some 2-3 minutes more.
top the spinach saag with homemade butter and serve with makki di roti.
for cooking palak saag on fire, follow this method:
for the tempering:
- add all the greens, onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, green chilies with salt and water in a deep pan or a pressure cooker. add around 1 cup water to the veggies.
- cook the whole lot in the pan for 7-10 minutes or in a pressure cooker for 3 to 4 minutes. also add maize flour and butter.
- once cooled blend into a smooth or coarse paste. add the saag in another pan and simmer for 7-10 minutes till it thickens a little bit.
- brown the onions in ghee and then add the saag to it.
- simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- for a saag serving 2-3 people, 1 medium sized onion is enough with 2 tbsp ghee for the tempering. the remaining saag you can refrigerate and use as when required.