dal palak is an easy and simple to make recipe of spinach with lentils.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
- ¼ cup tuvar dal (pigeon pea lentils)
- ¼ cup masoor dal (pink lentils)
- 2 cups chopped spinach (palak)
- 1 or 2 green chilies (hari mirch), chopped
- 1 inch ginger (adrak), chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (sabut jeera)
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 2 to 2.5 cups water, for pressure cooking the dals
- ½ to 1 cup water, to be added to the dal in the last step
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ghee or oil
- salt as required
pressure cooking dal
pick and wash the lentils. take the lentils in a pressure cooker with turmeric powder.
add 2 to 2.5 cups of water and pressure cook for 5 to 6 whistles or till the dals become soft and mushy.
mash the dals and keep aside.
making dal palak
in a pan, heat ghee. fry the cumin and then add the chopped ginger and fry till the raw aroma of ginger goes away.
now add the chopped chili and fry for half a minute. fry for a minute.
now add the chopped spinach. add red chili powder and asafoetida
saute for some minutes till the spinach becomes soft and stops releasing water on a medium flame.
now add the mashed lentils now. mix the lentils with the spinach.
add water around ½ cup to 1 cup depending on how thick or thin you want the dal to be.
finally add salt and simmer the palak dal for 5 to 6 minutes.
serve dal palak hot with rice and a side vegetable dish or salad or raita.