yam stir fry recipe - a simple stir fry dish made with yam, spices, coconut without addition of onions, garlic and ginger.
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time7 mins
Total Time32 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- 3 to 3.5 cup chopped elephant foot yam (suran or zimikand)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoon coconut oil or any vegetable oil
- 2 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch) - deseeded and broken or 1 to 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 8 to 9 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 3 to 4 tablespoon grated fresh coconut
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- a generous pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- salt as required
- enough water for pressure cooking or steaming the yam
pressure cooking yam
peel and chop the yam (suran) into cubes. rinse them well in water.
in a pressure cooker, add the yam, turmeric powder and a bit of salt.
pour enough water to cover the yam completely.
pressure cook for 5 to 6 whistles or more till the yam has completely cooked and softened.
drain the yam and keep aside.
making yam fry
heat coconut oil in a frying pan. add the mustard seeds and urad dal.
crackle the mustard seeds first and allow the urad dal to become a maroonish color.
then add the cumin seeds and stir.
add the broken red chilies, curry leaves and asafoetida.
saute till the color of the red chilies change.
then add the drained yam. stir.
then add the coconut. season with salt. stir and saute for a few minutes.
lastly add chopped coriander leaves and stir again
serve yam fry as a side dish with sambar or rasam or with chapatis.