hing jeera aloo
hing jeera aloo is a no onion no garlic dish of potatoes sauteed in a spice base of cumin, asafoetida and other spices. goes well with pooris or chapatis.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- 250 grams aloo (potatoes) Or about 3 medium sized potatoes
- 1 green chili (hari mirch) - chopped
- ½ inch ginger (adrak) - finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/8 teaspoon hing (asafoetida) - about 2 to 3 pinches of hing
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur) - alternative is lemon juice or dry pomegranate powder
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
preparation for hing jeera aloo recipe
boil or steam 3 medium sized potatoes (250 grams potatoes).
when slightly hot or warm, peel and chop the potatoes.
also finely chop ½ inch ginger and 1 green chilli. keep aside.
making hing jeera aloo
heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan or kadai. add 2 tsp cumin and let them splutter.
add ⅛ tsp asafoetida/hing. about 2 to 3 pinches of asafoetida.
add the chopped potatoes and stir well.
add all the spice powders – ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp red chili powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp dry mango powder/amchur and salt. this recipe is a bit spicy. for a less spicy version, reduce the red chili powder to ¼ tsp. if you don’t have dry mango powder then add 1 tsp lime or lemon juice. you can also dried pomegranate seeds powder (anardana powder) instead of dry mango powder.
stir again and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
lastly add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves/dhania patta.
give a final stir. you can also garnish hing jeera aloo dish with chopped coriander leaves.
serve hing jeera aloo with pooris, chapatis or parathas or as a side dish with dal-rice combo. you can also add few drops of lemon juice while serving
- if you don't have amchur/dry mango powder then you can add lemon juice.
Calories: 160kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 7g | Sodium: 1262mg | Potassium: 552mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 200IU | Vitamin C: 16.9mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 5.5mg