potato capsicum curry - a semi gravy recipe of capsicum (green bell peppers) and potatoes in an onion-tomato base.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
main ingredients for potato capsicum
- 3 medium capsicum Or 1 cup chopped capsicum (shimla mirch)
- 6 small potatoes Or 3 medium potaotes Or 1.25 to 1.5 cups small potato cubes
- 10 to 12 cashews (kaju) - optional
for the onion-tomato masala
- 2 to 3 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped Or 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste (adrak lahsun ka paste) Or ½ inch ginger + 3 to 4 medium garlic - crushed in a mortar-pestle
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped or minced Or ½ cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 green chili (hari mirch) - chopped
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ to ⅔ cup water
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 to 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves for garnish (dhania patta)
- salt as required
preparation for potato capsicum
first rinse and chop all the veggies.
finely chop 1 medium onion. about 1/2 cup finely chopped onions.
finely chop 1 large tomato. you will need about 1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes.
peel & chop 3 medium potatoes in small cubes. about 1.25 to 1.5 cups small potato cubes.
remove the seeds & chop 3 medium sized capsicum.
heat 2 to 3 tbsp oil in a pan. add 10 to 12 cashews.
saute and stir on a low to medium flame till the cashews turn golden.
once the cashews turn golden, remove them with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper towel.
in the same oil, add the chopped potato cubes.
stir and saute the potatoes on a low to medium flame till the potatoes become light golden.
remove with a slotted spoon and drain them on kitchen paper towel.
making potato capsicum
now in the same oil, add the chopped onion.
on a medium flame begin to saute the onions till they turn translucent.
now add 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste.
saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
then add the chopped tomatoes and green chilies.
on a medium flame saute the tomatoes, till the tomatoes become pulpy and soft. you should also see oil releasing from the sides of the masala.
next add the spice powders - 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp red chili powder & 1/2 tsp coriander powder.
mix the spices very well with the onion-tomato masala. at this step you can also add 1 tbsp malai and mix well with the rest of the masala.
now add the chopped capsicum. mix again well.
add 1/2 to 2/3 cup water. add water as required. first i added 1/2 cup water and later added 1/3 cup more water.
season with salt as per taste. stir again.
cover the pan with a lid and simmer on a low flame till the capsicum is cooked. do check a couple of times when the capsicum is cooking.
if you want you can half cook the capsicum for a slight crunch. i usually cook them completely. the capsicum gravy will also thicken by the time the capsicum is cooked.
now add the potatoes and 1/4 tsp garam masala powder. mix the aloo capisum curry well.
next add cashews. if you want you can even keep a few cashews and potatoes aside and then garnish with them.
garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve potato capsicum curry with rotis or phulkas. it also taste good with parathas.
- for a spicier taste, you can increase the red chili powder and garam masala powder.
Calories: 287kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 862mg | Potassium: 1271mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 880IU | Vitamin C: 130.1mg | Calcium: 88mg | Iron: 7.9mg