Delicious South Indian veg kurma recipe made with mixed veggies.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 4 to 5
for making ground paste
- 5 tablespoon desiccated coconut or fresh coconut
- 12 to 15 cashews - blanched
- 2 teaspoon poppy seeds (khus khus) - optional
- ½ tablespoon roasted chana dal
- ½ tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (saunf)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 cloves
- 2 green cardamoms
- 4 to 5 black peppercorns
- 1 marathi moggu (kopak) - optional
- a small tiny piece of stone flower (pathar phool) - optional
- 2 green chilies - chopped
- 3 to 4 medium sized garlic, chopped or 1 to 1.5 teaspoons chopped garlic
- ¾ inch ginger, chopped or 1.5 teaspoons chopped ginger
- ½ cup water for grinding or add as required
veggies for kurma
- 1 to 1.25 cups medium sized cauliflower florets
- ¾ cup diced potatoes or 1 medium potato - diced
- 1/3 cup green peas fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup french beans or 7 to 8 french beans, chopped
- ½ cup chopped carrots or 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion or 1 medium sized onion - finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped tomatoes or 1 medium tomato - chopped
- 7 to 8 curry leaves
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 tablespoon fresh curd (yogurt) - optional
- 1.25 cups water. for slightly thin gravy, add 1.5 cups water
- salt as required
- 2 to 3 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
Soak 12 to 15 cashews in hot water for 20 to 30 minutes. Later drain and keep aside.
Rinse and soak 1 to 1.25 cups mediums sized cauliflower florets in hot water for 15 to 20 minutes. This step is optional and only to get rid of any insects or worms in the cauliflower. After blanching the cauliflower, drain them and keep aside.
Rinse, peel and chop the rest of the veggies.
Add the the ingredients mentioned under 'for ground paste' in a in a wet grinder jar.
Pour 1/2 cup water and grind to a smooth fine paste. Keep aside.
making veg kurma
Heat 2 tbsp oil. Add the chopped onions.
Stir and saute till the onions turn translucent or a light brown. Add 7 to 8 curry leaves and stir.
Next add the chopped tomatoes, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp red chili powder. Stir and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the ground paste. Stir and mix well. Saute stirring often for 4 to 5 minutes on a low to medium flame.
Then add 2 tbsp fresh curd/yogurt. If you want, you can skip yogurt too.
Mix the curd very well with the rest of the masala.
Add the chopped mix veggies. Stir and saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
Then add 1.25 cups water. For slightly thin gravy you can add 1.5 cups water. If cooking in a pan, then add 1.5 to 2 cups of water. Stir well.
Season with salt as per taste.
cooking veg kurma
Pressure cook for 2 whistles or for 9 to 10 minutes.
When the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid. If you find the gravy to be thin, then you can simmer for some more minutes.
If the gravy looks thick, then add some water and simmer for a few more minutes. The consistency should be medium - neither thin nor thick.
Add 2 to 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves. Stir.
Serve vegetable kurma with pooris or chapatis.
- You can increase or decrease the amount of spices as per your taste.