This Bell Pepper Rice is an easy, quick and delicious one pot recipe.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- 1 cup basmati rice or 200 grams basmati rice
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 green cardamoms (choti elaichi)
- 2 cloves (lavang)
- ½ inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 small tejpatta or 1 medium to large tejpatta (indian bay leaf)
- 2 single strands of mace (javitiri)
- 1 medium onion, sliced or ½ cup sliced onions
- 75 to 80 grams capsicum or 2 medium capsicum or ¾ cup sliced capsicum (shimla mirch or bell pepper)
- 3 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 4 to 5 drops of lemon juice
- 1.75 cups water
- salt as required
preparation for capsicum rice
Rinse 1 cup basmati rice very well in water.
Then soak rice in water for 30 minutes. Later drain and keep the rice aside.
Meanwhile when the rice is soaking, slice the onions thinly. Also slice the capsicum.
making capsicum rice
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker. Add the whole spices - cumin seeds, green cardamoms, cloves, inch cinnamon, tejpatta, strands of mace.
Saute till the spices crackle and become fragrant.
Then add the sliced onions.
Stir very well and saute till the onions become golden.
Now add the sliced capsicum and chopped coriander leaves.
Stir very well and saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the rice. Stir and saute for a minute.
Pour water and season with salt. Also add 3 to 4 drops of lemon juice. Stir.
Cover the pressure cooker with its lid and pressure cook capsicum rice on a medium to high flame for 2 to 3 whistles.
When the pressure falls down on its own, open the lid and gently fluff the capsicum rice.
Serve capsicum rice hot with some curry dish or a dal.