mushroom curry recipe - easy and delicious curry recipe of punjabi style mushroom masala.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
for onion paste
- 100 grams onions or 2 medium onions or ¾ to 1 cup roughly chopped onions
- ½ inch ginger or 1 teaspoon chopped ginger (adrak)
- 5 to 6 small garlic or 1 teaspoon chopped garlic (lahsun)
for tomato puree
- 70 grams tomatoes or 2 small to medium tomatoes or ½ cup tightly packed chopped tomatoes or ½ cup tomato puree
other ingredients for mushroom masala
- 200 to 250 grams white button mushrooms
- 4 tablespoon fresh curd (yogurt or dahi) - whisked till smooth
- 3 tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 small tejpatta or 1 medium to large tejpatta (indian bay leaf)
- ½ inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 1 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 2 green cardamoms (choti elaichi)
- 3 cloves (lavang)
- 1 single strand of mace (javitri) - optional
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ¾ cup water or add as required
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) - crushed
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- ¾ cup water or add as required
- salt as required
preparation for mushroom curry
rinse or wipe dry the mushrooms. slice off a bit of the base stalk. then slice or chop them. keep aside.
in a grinder or blender, take 3/4 th to 1 cup roughly chopped onions, 1 tsp chopped ginger and 1 tsp chopped garlic. grind to a smooth paste without adding any water.
remove this paste with a spoon or spatula in a bowl. keep this ground onion-ginger-garlic paste aside.
in the same jar, add 1/2 cup tightly packed chopped tomatoes and make a smooth puree. no need to blanch tomatoes before pureeing. keep the tomato puree aside.
whisk 4 tbsp fresh curd till smooth and keep aside.
making masala for mushroom curry
heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan and add the following whole spices - 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 2 small tejpatta or 1 medium to large tejpatta, 1/2 inch cinnamon, 1 black cardamom, 2 green cardamoms, 3 cloves and 1 single strand of mace.
saute the spices till they become aromatic.
lower the flame and add the ground onion-ginger-garlic paste.
stir the paste. if the paste splutters then cover the pan with a lid allowing for some space for the steam to pass.
on a low to medium flame stir often and continue to saute till the onion paste starts thickening.
stir and saute till the paste becomes golden. this sauteing of onion paste takes some time. so to quicken the process add a pinch of salt.
now add the tomato puree. stir. then add the spice powders - 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder and 1 tsp coriander powder.
stir and saute till you see oil releasing from the sides of the masala.
making mushroom curry
add the sliced or chopped white button mushrooms.
add the beaten curd (yogurt). as soon as you add yogurt, stir very well.
simmer the mushroom curry on a low to medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
then add 3/4 cup water or as required.
season with salt. stir very well.
cover the pan with a lid. on a low to medium flame simmer the mushroom curry for 18 to 20 minutes or till the mushrooms are cooked.
lastly add 1/2 tsp kasuri methi (crushed), 1/4 tsp garam masala powder and 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves. stir very well.
stir and serve this punjabi mushroom masala with rotis, parathas, naan or even rice or veg pulao or biryani.
Calories: 187kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 32mg | Potassium: 372mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 340IU | Vitamin C: 7.7mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 1mg