sev puri is a spicy, sweet and tangy street snack from mumbai.
Prep Time45 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time1 hr
For the sev puri
- 36 flat crisp puris or papdis
- ½ to ¾ cup sev or add as required
- 2 to 3 medium to large potatoes, boiled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
- 1 green chili - chopped, optional
- ⅓ to ½ cup spicy mint coriander chutney
- ⅓ to ½ cup sweet tamarind dates chutney
- ¼ to ⅓ cup hot red chili chutney
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder , optional
- 1 to 2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder , optional
- 1 to 2 teaspoon chaat masala
- 1 teaspoon black salt or rock salt or common salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice
For the spicy green coriander chutney
- 2 cups tightly packed coriander leaves , chopped
- 2 green chilies , chopped, add more for a spicy chutney
- ½ inch ginger chopped (optional)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon lime juice or add as per taste
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala
- ½ teaspoon salt or add as required
- 1 to 2 teaspoon water for grinding or add as required
For the sweet tamarind dates chutney
- ½ cup tightly packed seedless tamarind
- ½ cup seedless dates
- ½ cup powdered or grated jaggery or add as required - adjust as per your taste
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (ground coriander)
- ½ teaspoon dry ginger powder (amchur powder)
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon red chili powder or 1 dry red chili * see notes
- black salt or rock salt or regular salt as required
for red chili chutney
- 15 to 16 dry kashmiri red chilies
- 8 to 9 medium garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- salt as required
making green coriander chutney
rinse the coriander leaves well in water and roughly chop them.
take the chopped coriander leaves, chopped green chillies & ginger, cumin powder, chaat masala, lemon juice and salt in a grinder jar or a small blender jar.
add 1 or 2 tsp water and grind to a smooth chutney. add a few teaspoons more of the water if required. but don't make the chutney too thin or watery.
remove the chutney in a bowl and keep aside. use this green chutney as required for chaat recipes like this sev puri.
making sweet tamarind dates chutney
in a pan, take the tamarind, dates and water.
cook the tamarind and date for about 8-9 minutes on a low flame till they soften.
now add the powdered jaggery and continue to cook. let the jaggery dissolve and the mixture thicken a bit.
add all the spice powders - red chili powder, coriander powder, dry ginger powder and roasted cumin powder.
stir and simmer for a further 1-2 minutes more. season with salt.
let the chutney mixture cool down.
in a chutney grinder or small blender, grind the this whole mixture till smooth.
add some water if required while grinding. strain the chutney through a strainer.
store the tamarind date chutney in an airtight bowl or container in the refrigerator and use it when you make chaat at home.
making red chutney
break the chilies. deseed them if required.
soak the red chilies in hot water for about 30 mins. the water just needs to cover them.
peel and roughly chop the garlic. drain the red chilies.
adding very little water grind both the red chilies and garlic in a chutney grinder or blender till smooth. the consistency of the chutney should be more towards thicker side or of medium consistency.
pour the chutney in a small jar or bowl. cover and refrigerate.
when preparing chaat snacks, just add a small amount while topping the chaat with other chutneys.
assembling or making sev puri
keep all the ingredients like the chutneys, chopped boiled potatoes, chopped onions and tomatoes, sev, lime juice read on your work surface.
arrange the puris on a plate. top it up with chopped boiled potatoes.
add chopped onions and tomatoes to it.
sprinkle some chaat masala and cumin powder on it, if you want at this stage.
top up with the green chutney as much as you want. then top up with red chili chutney.
then with the sweet chutney as much as you want.
sprinkle sev on top. again sprinkle some chaat masala, cumin powder. sprinkle also black salt.
add a dash of lime juice to the sev puri. garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
serve sev puri immediately.