rice sevai upma recipe
rice sevai upma is an easy to prepare upma with rice vermicelli.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
cooking rice vermicelli
- 180 grams rice sevai (rice vermicelli or rice seviyan) OR about 1.75 cups rice sevai
- 4.5 to 5 cups water for cooking rice vermicelli
for tempering rice sevai upma
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 or 2 green chilies chopped
- ½ inch ginger (adrak) - finely chopped, about 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 medium onion - finely chopped
- 8 to 10 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 12 to 15 cashews (kaju) - halved or whole
- 4 to 5 tablespoon grated coconut or add as required
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil or any oil or you can also use ghee
- 2 to 3 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1 small to medium lime or lemon - sliced or diced to be served with the upma
- salt as required
cooking rice sevai
on a high flame bring 5 cups water to a boil in a pan.
take 1.75 cups rice sevai/rice vermicelli. add to the boiling water.
stir gently and cook the sevai on a medium to high flame.
cook the vermicelli according to the package instructions or until they are cooked well.
it took me around 10 minutes for the sevai to cook on a medium flame.
drain the sevai in a strainer. keep the cooked rice sevai aside.
making rice sevai upma
in another pan, heat 2 tbsp coconut oil. you can also use any other oil instead of coconut oil. add mustard
seeds and let them crackle.
when the mustard seeds are almost done with the crackling, add 12 to 15 cashews. cashews can be kept whole or halved.
saute till the cashew get a bit golden.
add 1 tsp finely chopped ginger, 1/2 tsp green chilies. stir and saute for 5 to 10 seconds.
then add finely chopped onion and 10 to 12 curry leaves.
saute till the onions become translucent. don't brown them.
add the cooked rice sevai and stir very well with the rest of the sauteed ingredients.
season with salt. stir and add 4 to 5 tbsp fresh grated coconut.
stir again and serve rice sevai upma hot plain or with coconut chutney. do drizzle some lemon juice while serving upma. also garnish with chopped coriander leaves
you can also add lemon juice towards the end and give a final stir. add lemon juice as per your taste.
tips for making rice sevai upma recipe:
- you can also add 1 tsp each of chana dal and urad dal in this recipe. these lentils have to be added along with the cashews, when the mustard seeds begin to crackle. brown them and then add the ginger, green chilies, followed by onions and curry leaves.
- for kids reduce the green chilies or skip them entirely.
- peanuts can be added instead of cashews.