no onion-garlic paneer butter masala
creamy, tangy and a spiced tomato and paneer based dish made without onion and garlic.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time50 mins
for tomato puree
- 4 medium tomatoes Or 300 grams tomatoes Or 2 cups diced tomatoes- pureed
for cashew paste:
- 15 to 18 cashews, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
- 3 to 4 tablespoon water for grinding cashew
whole spices for paneer butter masala
- 1 tejpatta (indian bay leaf)
- 2 to 3 cloves (lavang)
- ½ inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 green cardamoms (choti elaichi)
- 1 single strand of mace (javitri)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
other ingredients for paneer butter masala
- 200 to 250 grams paneer (cottage cheese)
- 2 to 3 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder or deghi mirch
- 1.25 cups water or add as required
- ½ teaspoon ginger paste Or ½ inch ginger - crushed to a paste in mortar-pestle
- 1 green chili (hari mirch) - slit
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) - crushed
- 1 to 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 2 tablespoon low fat cream (optional)
- ¼ to 1 teaspoon sugar, add as per taste and depending on the sourness of the tomatoes
- salt as required
preparing cashew paste
soak 12 to 15 cashews in a hot water for 20 to 30 minutes.
then drain and add the soaked cashews in a blender or grinder.
add 2 to 3 tbsp water and grind to a smooth paste.
remove the cashew paste and keep aside.
making paneer butter masala without onion garlic
now heat 2 to 3 tbsp butter in a pan or kadai.
allow the butter to melt.
then add the whole spices mentioned above in the ingredient list.
saute the spices till they become fragrant.
add ginger paste and saute the ginger paste till the raw aroma of ginger goes away.
add the prepared tomato puree. stir very well and simmer for 3 minutes.
then add 1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder.
stir and saute the tomato paste till you see fat releasing from the sides and top.
then add the cashew paste.
begin to stir and mix the cashew paste very well with the tomato paste. continue to saute on a low to medium flame, till you see specks of fat on the sides or on the top.
then add water and stir very well.
bring the gravy to a boil and then add ginger julienne and slit green chilies.
season with salt. check the taste and add sugar as required. i added 1/4 tsp sugar. you can add from 1/4 tsp to 1 tsp depending on sourness or 'khatas' of the tomatoes.
when butter masala gravy thickens a bit and you see fat specks on the top, then add paneer cubes. simmer for a minute.
now add crushed kasuri methi and garam masala powder. at this step, if you want you can add 2 to 3 tbsp of low fat cream or 1 to 2 tbsp of whipping cream.
stir and switch off the flame.
garnish this no onion no garlic paneer butter masala with chopped coriander leaves.
serve paneer butter masala with chapatis, rotis, steamed rice or jeera rice.
Calories: 262kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 700mg | Potassium: 224mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1005IU | Vitamin C: 11.6mg | Calcium: 248mg | Iron: 0.7mg