dahi aloo is an easy and delicious recipe of potatoes simmered in curd sauce.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
for the curd mixture
- 1 cup fresh curd (yogurt)
- 2 to 2.5 tablespoon besan (gram flour)
- 1.5 cups water
other ingredients for dahi aloo
- 300 grams potatoes or 3 medium to large potatoes - boiled
- 2 tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion finely chopped or 1/3 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 medium tomato finely chopped or 1/3 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 to 2 green chilies, finely chopped or 1 teaspoon chopped finely chopped green chilies
- 3 to 4 medium garlic cloves , finely chopped or 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- ½ inch ginger - finely chopped or 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 7 to 8 curry leaves
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (ground turmeric)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (ground coriander)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- salt as required
rinse and then boil/steam potatoes till they are completely cooked.
you can cook them in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles or steam them in a steamer or electric cooker.
when the potatoes are still warm, peel them. crumble and keep aside.
in another bowl, take 1 cup fresh curd/yogurt and whisk till smooth.
add 2 to 2.5 tbsp besan.
next add 1.5 cups water and whisk this mixture till smooth. there should be no lumps of besan.
chop the onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and green chilies finely.
making dahi aloo
in a pan heat 2 tbsp oil and add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds. saute till the cumin seeds crackle and change color.
then add 1/3 cup finely chopped onions.
saute till the onions turn translucent.
add 1 tsp finely chopped ginger, 1 tsp finely chopped garlic and 1 tsp finely chopped green chilies. stir and saute for half a minute.
next add curry leaves and asafoetida. saute for about half a minute.
now add 1/3 cup finely chopped tomatoes.
stir and saute till the tomatoes become pulpy and you see oil leaving sides of the masala.
add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/4 tsp red chili powder and 1/2 tsp coriander powder. if you want you can spice the gravy more by adding 1/2 tsp red chili powder. stir very well.
now add the crumbled potatoes. stir and saute for about 2 minutes.
keep the flame to a low and then add the curd mixture.
as soon as you add the curd mixture, stir quickly. stir and mix very well.
simmer the gravy for 8 to 10 minutes on a low flame. if the gravy becomes thick, then you can add some water.
then add salt as per taste.
stir and then add 1/2 tsp garam masala powder and 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves. switch off the flame.
lastly, stir and serve dahi aloo with chapatis, rotis or steamed rice. it also goes very well with cumin rice or peas pulao.
Calories: 238kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 888mg | Potassium: 722mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 560IU | Vitamin C: 68.9mg | Calcium: 157mg | Iron: 3.9mg