mix veg recipe
mix vegetable curry recipe - simple, homely and tasty recipe of mix vegetables made in north indian punjabi style.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped finely or ½ cup finely chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 medium to large tomatoes, chopped finely or 1 cup tightly packed finely chopped tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon kashmiri chilli powder or deghi mirch, add more for a spicy gravy
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 green chili, chopped finely
- 2 cups chopped mix vegetables - cauliflower, carrots, potatoes, french beans, capsicum
- ½ cup green peas (matar), fresh or frozen
- 1.5 cups water or add as required
- salt as per taste
- 2 tablespoons cream or malai or 3 tablespoons milk
- 8 to 10 paneer cubes, OPTIONAL
- 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves,
making masala for mix veg recipe
In a kadai or thick bottomed pan, heat oil.
add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
then add finely chopped onions and sauté onions till they turn light golden.
then add the ginger-garlic paste. sauté till the raw aroma of both ginger and garlic goes away.
then add the tomatoes. keep on stirring till the tomatoes become soft and pulpy.
the process of frying the tomatoes takes a little longer. if you want to quicken the process, add a pinch of salt to the onion-tomato mixture. fry the tomatoes on a low flame as you don’t want the tomatoes to get burnt.
when the mixture becomes smooth and you see oil releasing from the sides, then add turmeric powder, kashmiri red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder.
mix spice powders very well with the onion-tomato mixture.
making mix veg curry
now add the chopped veggies, green peas and green chilies.
add water and salt as per taste. cover pan with a lid and let the veggies cook on a low to medium flame.
once the veggies are half cooked, add the cream or malai or milk. stir well.
cover again with a lid and simmer the veggies till they are done.
don’t forget to check the vegetables occasionally at intervals.
add more water if the water dries up and if the veggies are still to be cooked.
once the veggies are cooked and the mix veg sabzi is done, then switch off the flame and add 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves. mix well. if using paneer, then add the paneer before you add the coriander leaves and simmer for a few seconds.
you can also garnish mix veg gravy with fried paneer cubes. otherwise simply garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
serve mix veg hot with pooris, parathas, kulcha or chapatis.
Calories: 214kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 678mg | Potassium: 363mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 5275IU | Vitamin C: 24.9mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 1.7mg