This is an easy, tasty and tangy tomato pulao recipe made in pressure cooker
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
- 1 cup basmati rice or regular rice
- 2 large tomatoes or 150 grams tomatoes or ¾ cup finely chopped tightly packed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion or 1/3 cup finely chopped onions
- ½ inch ginger + 3 to 4 garlic + 1 to 2 green chilies - crushed to a paste in mortar-pestle or a small grinder, about ½ tablespoon ginger+garlic+green chili paste
- ¾ to 1 cup chopped mix vegetables likes carrots, beans, peas, cauliflower, mushrooms and potatoes
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (ground turmeric)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder or crushed black pepper
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped mint leaves
- 1.75 cups water
- 2 tablespoon oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 to 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- salt as required
whole spices for tomato pulao
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 small star anise (chakriphool)
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
preparation for tomato pulao
Rinse rice very well in water and then soak the grains in water for 30 minutes. You can use basmati rice or any regular rice for the pulao. I used surti kolam.
After 30 minutes drain the rice and keep aside.
When the rice is soaking, prep the veggies and keep aside.
Also crush (1/2 inch ginger + 3 to 4 garlic + 1 to 2 green chilies) to a semi fine paste in a mortar-pestle. You can also use a small chutney grinder to make this paste.
making tomato pulao
Heat 2 tbsp oil or ghee in a pressure cooker.
Add the whole spices and fry them for a few seconds till they become fragrant - 1 inch cinnamon, 2 cloves, 2 green cardamoms, 1 small star anise, 1 tejpatta or indian bay leaf, 1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
Then add 1/3 cup finely chopped onions.
Stir and saute the onions till light golden.
Add the crushed ginger+garlic+green chili paste along with 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves and 1 tsp chopped mint leaves.
Stir and saute till raw aroma of the ginger and garlic goes away.
Then add 3/4 cup tightly packed finely chopped tomatoes.
Stir and saute till the tomatoes become pulpy and soften.
Now add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp red chili powder and 1/4 tsp black pepper or crushed black pepper. Stir again.
Add the veggies - about 3/4 to 1 cup chopped mix vegetables. Stir and saute for 1 to 2 minute.
Then add the rice. Stir and saute for a minute.
Pour 1.75 cups water.
Season with salt. Stir very well. Pressure cook tomato pulao on medium flame for about 10 to 12 minutes or for 2 to 3 whistles.
Let the pressure settle down on its own. Then remove the rid and gently fluff the rice.
Serve tomato pulao garnished with coriander leaves. Accompany plain yogurt, raita or a veggie salad by the side.
- You can also make this pulao in a pot or pan. Just add 2 to 2.5 cups water if making tomato pulao in a pan.
Calories: 366kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 43mg | Potassium: 338mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2845IU | Vitamin C: 13.2mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 1.9mg