Eggplant parmesan is a delicious italian baked dish of eggplant with tomato-herb sauce and cheese.
Prep Time35 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 1 Medium sized eggplant (aubergine or brinjal or bhartha baingan)
- 1 teaspoon Chopped fresh basil Or ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon Dry oregano
- 1 Small to medium onion, Finely chopped
- 2 Large tomatoes, Finely chopped - about 2 cups of finely chopped tomatoes
- 2-3 Garlic cloves - finely chopped
- 4 tablespoon Vegetable oil For frying the eggplants
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil for the sauce
- 1 teaspoon White or red wine (optional)
- 40 to 50 grams Cheese, Mozarella or cheddar
- Salt as required
- Black pepper as required
pan frying the eggplant
Rinse and slice the eggplant (baingan) lengthwise in 3 to 4 mm width slices.
Spread some salt all over them. Mix the salt and keep them for 15-20 minutes.
Then rinse them in water and dry them completely.
Heat 4 tbsp oil in a pan. Fry the eggplant slices in batches till golden.
Drain on paper towels so that the excess of oil is absorbed.
making sauce for eggplant parmesan
The oil in the pan would almost be over. In the same pan, add 1 tbsp olive oil
Add the finely chopped onion and garlic. Saute till the onions are translucent.
Then add the tomatoes and saute till the tomatoes soften and become pulpy.
Add the wine, salt, pepper and saute for a minute.
Then add the oregano and basil and saute for a minute.
baking eggplant parmesan
Brush the pan with olive oil. first make a layer of half of the tomato-herb sauce.
Then arrange 3 to 4 slices of the fried aubergines. grate some cheese on top.
Layer with the remaining of the tomato sauce.
Place the last slices of the aubergines.
Grate cheese on the top to almost cover the whole pan.
In a preheated oven bake the eggplant parmesan for 8-10 minutes at 200 degrees C till the cheese melts.
Serve eggplant parmesan hot or warm.