panjiri is a traditional punjabi sweet made with whole wheat flour, sugar, ghee and dry fruits.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (atta) or 120 grams whole wheat flour
- ½ cup raw sugar or unrefined cane sugar or 80 grams sugar Or ½ cup + 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 15 to 18 cashews (kaju) or almonds (badam) or a mix of both
- 15 to 18 raisins (kishmish)
- 4 tablespoon desi ghee (clarified butter)
powder 1/2 cup sugar in a dry grinder and keep aside.
take 1 cup whole wheat flour/atta in a kadai or a thick bottomed broad pan.
keep the pan on a low flame or sim and begin to roast the whole wheat flour.
you have to stir often while roasting the flour so that there is even roasting.
roast till the color changes and you get nutty aroma from the whole wheat flour. about 9 to 12 minutes on a low flame.
then add 4 tbsp ghee in the flour.
mix very well.
add cashews. if adding almonds, then roast them separately in a pan and then add.
keep on stirring and roasting the panjiri mixture for 5 to 6 minutes more. do check the taste of the whole wheat flour and it should feel cooked. there should be no rawness in the taste.
switch off the flame. keep the pan down and add the powdered sugar.
mix very well. then add raisins and mix again.
allow the panjiri to cool. then store in an air tight box and serve panjiri.
- the recipe can be doubled or tripled, but the roasting time will increase.
Calories: 474kcal | Carbohydrates: 68g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 3mg | Potassium: 233mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 36g | Vitamin A: 10.7% | Calcium: 1.8% | Iron: 12%