sabudana tikki recipe
sabudana cutlet recipe - fasting recipe of pan fried patties with tapioca pearls, potatoes and minimal spices.
Prep Time5 hrs
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time5 hrs 20 mins
Servings: 8 sabudana tikki
- ½ cup sabudana (tapioca pearls)
- 1 large potato (aloo) or 130 grams potato - boiled, peeled and mashed
- 1 green chili (hari mirch) - chopped
- 10 to 12 cashews (kaju) - chopped or 4 tablespoon chopped cashews Or 2 tablespoon roasted peanuts, coarsely crushed
- ½ tablespoon chopped raisins (kishmish) or 8 to 9 raisins - chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera)
- ¼ teaspoon amchur (dry mango powder) or add as per taste
- 1 tablespoon rock salt (sendha namak) as required
- 2 tablespoon peanut oil (moongphali ka tel) for pan frying
preparation for sabudana tikki recipe
rinse and then soak 1/2 cup sabudana pearls in water covering them above 1 inch, for 5 to 6 hours or overnight. depending on the quality of sabudana you can even soak for 2 hours.
when properly soaked, the sabudana pearl, should get mashed when pressed. if you feel some hardness in the center, then soak for some more time.
then drain the soaked sabudana pearls very well in a strainer.
boil or steam 1 large potato in a pressure cooker, steamer or microwave oven. the potato has to well cooked.
making sabudana tikki
when the potato becomes warm, peel and mash it very well in a bowl.
now add the drained sabudana, 1 green chili (chopped), 10 to 12 cashews, chopped or 4 tbsp chopped cashews, 1/2 tbsp chopped raisins, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1/4 tsp dry mango powder or add as per taste. also add rock salt/sendha namak as required. you can also use roasted and slightly crushed peanuts instead of cashews.
mix very well.
then form flat patties from the mixture. keep the width of the patties to 1/3 inch as when cooking they cook quickly from outside. if you make thick tikkis, then the outsides become golden, but the center will feel raw. since we are pan frying the sabudana tikki and not deep frying.
frying sabudana tikki
heat 2 tbsp peanut oil in a pan. place the sabudana tikki in the pan.
when the base is lightly browned, flip and pan fry the other side.
flip a couple of times more till they are crisp and golden from both sides.
drain the fried sabudana cutlet on kitchen paper towels. fry the remaining batch in the same way. the recipe makes for 8 tikkis.
serve sabudana tikki hot or warm with fasting coconut chutney.