Paneer Bhurji Gravy
Paneer bhurji gravy recipe - quick, easy and spiced paneer bhurji with a tari or rassa or gravy. Good as a side dish with chapatis, parathas or even bread.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
Main ingredients for paneer bhurji gravy
- 200 to 250 grams Paneer (cottage cheese) - crumbled
- 2 Medium onion Or 1 large onion, finely chopped or ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 Medium tomatoes Or 1 large tomato, finely chopped or ½ cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 Green chili - finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder (ground coriander)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder (ground cumin)
- ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 3 tablespoon Fresh curd (yogurt)
- ½ cup Water
- 1 tablespoon Chopped coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
- 2 tablespoon Chopped coriander leaves To be added later
- 2 tablespoon Butter or oil
- ½ inch Ginger - julienne for garnish
- Salt as required
Whole garam masala for paneer bhurji gravy
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 3 Cloves
- 2 Green cardamoms
- 5 to 6 Black peppercorns
- 2 Small tej patta Or 1 medium to large tej patta (indian bay leaf)
preparation for paneer bhurji gravy
Crumble 200 to 250 grams paneer and keep aside.
Chop the onions, tomatoes and green chillies. Keep aside.
Crush the ginger garlic in a mortar pestle and keep aside.
Also remove the whole spices and spice powders and keep aside.
making paneer bhurji gravy
Heat 2 tbsp butter or oil in a pan.
Add the whole spices - 1 inch cinnamon, 3 cloves, 2 green cardamoms, 5 to 6 black peppercorns and 2 small tej patta or 1 medium to large tej patta. Saute till the spices become aromatic.
Then add 1/2 cup finely chopped onion. Stir very well.
Saute the onions till light golden.
Add the chopped green chilies and 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste.
Saute till the aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
Now add 1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes. Stir very well.
Saute till the tomatoes soften and you see oil releasing from the sides of the masala.
Add 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 tsp red chili powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and 1/4 tsp garam masala powder.
Stir the ground spices well.
Keep the flame to its lowest, and now add 3 tbsp fresh curd/yogurt.
As soon as you add curd, stir quickly and briskly.
Then add 1/2 cup water and stir.
Add 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves. Stir.
Bring the curry or gravy to a simmer.
Then add the crumbled paneer. Also add salt.
Stir very well and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes till the paneer is cooked.
Switch off and add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
Stir very well and Serve paneer bhurji gravy with chapati, rotis, paratha or bread.
Substitutes for paneer bhurji gravy recipe:
- 200 to 250 grams paneer - 200 to 250 grams of tofu
- 2 tbsp butter - 2 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp curd/yogurt - skip altogether and add about ¼ to ½ tsp lemon juice. You can also add 3 tbsp buttermilk. Or use 3 tbsp cashew yogurt or almond yogurt.
- ½ tsp red chili powder - ½ tsp cayenne pepper.