mushroom pulao recipe made in a pressure cooker. this is a mild, flavorful mushroom pulao recipe with coconut milk.
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time50 mins
main ingredients for mushroom pulao
- 1.5 cups basmati rice – you can use any type of long grained rice
- 200 to 250 grams white button mushrooms, sliced or chopped
- 85 grams onion or 1 medium size onion, thinly sliced or finely chopped, about ⅓ to ½ cup sliced or chopped onions
- 1 medium size tomato or ⅓ cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium size potato, peeled & cubed (optional)
- 1 to 2 green chilies, chopped
- ½ tablespoon ginger-garlic paste or 1 inch ginger + 6 to 7 garlic, crushed in mortar-pestle
- 1 cup thick coconut milk + 1.5 to 1.75 cups water or an overall of 2.5 to 2.75 cups water (add depending on the quality of rice. usually most basmati rice which have been soaked for 20 to 30 mins before, requires about 2.5 cups water if you want separate grains. for a slightly more cooked texture, you can add 2.75 to 3 cups of water)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt or sea salt as required
whole spices for mushroom pulao
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera), optional
- 3 green cardamoms (hari elaichi)
- 4 to 5 cloves (lavang)
- 6 to 7 black pepper (sabut kalimirch)
- 1 to 1.5 inches cinnamon (dalchini)
preparation for mushroom pulao
clean, wash and soak the rice for 20 to 30 minutes.
when the rice is getting soaked, chop all the veggies. rinse and chop the mushrooms too.
take all the whole garam masala and keep it aside.
making mushroom pulao
in a pressure cooker, heat oil. add the whole garam masala including cumin, and fry till they become fragrant. about few seconds.
add the onions and fry them till translucent.
add the ginger-garlic paste and saute till the raw smell of the paste disappears.
now add the chopped tomatoes, potatoes and mushrooms. saute for 8-10 minutes till the mushrooms are half cooked. Keep on stirring in between.
add the soaked rice and the chopped green chili.
saute the rice for 1-2 minutes stirring in between on a low flame.
add the coconut milk and water. stir and season with salt.
pressure cook mushroom pulao for 2 to 3 whistles.
when the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid and gently fluff the rice.
garnish with coriander leaves or mint leaves and serve mushroom pulao with sliced onions and lime. you could also have mushroom pulao with onion-tomato raita.
Calories: 666kcal | Carbohydrates: 96g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Sodium: 857mg | Potassium: 976mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 340IU | Vitamin C: 20.2mg | Calcium: 103mg | Iron: 6.9mg