bread pakora is a popular north indian snack of bread fritters. bread slices are stuffed with spiced mashed potatoes filling, batter-coated and then deep-fried.
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time1 hr 5 mins
for bread pakora stuffing
- 175 grams potatoes or 1 large potato or 2 medium potatoes
- 1 to 2 green chillies chopped or about 1 teaspoon chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves - chopped (dhania patta)
- 2 teaspoons mint leaves - chopped (pudina patta) - optional
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder) or add as required
- salt as required
for bread pakora batter
- 1 cup besan (gram flour)
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 to 2 pinches turmeric powder - optional
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 to 2 pinches baking soda - optional
- ½ to ⅔ cup water or add as required
- salt as required
other ingredients for bread pakora
- 4 to 5 slices of whole wheat bread or brown bread or white bread
- oil for deep frying as required
making stuffing for bread pakora
boil or steam the potato in a pressure cooker or steamer till it is completely cooked.
when the potato becomes warm, then peel it. grate and keep aside. you can also mash and keep aside.
add the coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chilli, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, amchur powder, salt to the grated potatoes.
mix the spices & herbs very well with the mashed potatoes. check the seasonings and adjust accordingly. keep aside.
making bread pakora batter
in a bowl, take the besan (gram flour), ajwain, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, asafoetida and salt.
now add around ½ cup of water and mix very well.
the batter should not be very thick nor too thin. if the batter is too thick, then add more water.
add a few drops of hot oil when you keep the oil for deep frying in the batter. mix well.
making bread pakora
on the chopping board, slice the bread into triangle or rectangle slices.
take around 2 to 3 tablespoons of the mashed potato mixture and spread it on the bread evenly.
cover this potato stuffed slice with another slice. you now have a triangular bread sandwich. just slightly press the sandwich.
take the entire sandwich in your hand and dip it in the besan batter.
coat the stuffed bread sandwich evenly with the besan batter. be gentle with the sandwich. take care not to keep the stuffed bread sandwich a long time in the batter as the bread tends to break.
frying bread pakora
by now, your oil is hot and you can easily slid the besan batter coated bread sandwich in the oil.
fry the bread pakoras on a medium flame till they are crisp and golden brown.
drain bread pakoda on a tissue paper. so that excess oil is absorbed.
serve bread pakora hot or warm with tomato sauce or with any chutney of your choice, or even coconut chutney.
enjoy the bread pakoda in the rains with a cup of indian ginger chai or masala chai.
- recipe can be easily doubled.
- you can add spices more or less as per your taste.
Calories: 279kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 305mg | Potassium: 334mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 116IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 3mg