this is an easy mango chutney recipe made with semi ripe mangoes.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
- 2 medium sized juicy semi ripe mangoes
- ½ teaspoon panch phoran - equal mix of cumin, fennel, mustard, nigella & fenugreek seeds
- 2 tablespoon powdered jaggery or as required - adjust as per the sweetness of the mangoes
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or any vegetable oil
- ½ inch ginger - grated or finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 pinch garam masala powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- salt as required
peel and finely chop the mangoes.
if the mangoes are very juicy and fibrous, you can just remove the pulp.
making mango chutney
heat oil in the pan. fry the panch phoran spices till fragrant.
now add the ginger and fry for some seconds till its raw aroma goes away.
add the finely chopped mango or mango pulp/puree.
add the red chili powder, garam masala powder and asafoetida (hing). stir.
simmer for 1-2 minutes. add the powdered jaggery and salt. stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
don't overcook as the mixture will become thick.
remove the chutney in a bowl. serve mango chutney warm or at room temperature as dip or spread.
this chutney stays good for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.