These instant rava uttapam can be made plain or topped with onions, tomatoes or mixed grated veggies. I have shown both the plain as well as onion-tomato version.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 1 to 2
- ½ cup Fine variety of rava (sooji or semolina) or 100 grams (rava is not roasted)
- ½ cup Water
- 3 teaspoon Lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon Baking soda Or ⅛ teaspoon eno or fruit salt
- Salt as per taste
- Oil Or ghee for greasing the pan and drizzling
- 1 Small onion, Chopped or 5 to 6 pearl onions, thinly sliced
- 1 Small tomato, Chopped
- 1 Green chili, Finely chopped
Mix the rava and water in a bowl.
Keep the batter to rest for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile when the batter is resting, you can slice or chop the onions, tomatoes and green chilies.
Mix the chopped veggies and keep aside.
After 30 minutes, stir the batter again.
Then add 3 tsp lemon juice, salt and 1/4 tsp baking soda or 1/8 tsp eno (fruit salt).
Stir and mix very well.
making instant rava uttapam
Heat a tawa or griddle and spread some oil. You can also use a non stick pan.
Take the batter in a large serving spoon.
Pour the batter and spread it gently. Don't spread too much.
When the batter is still raw from the top, add the onions-tomatoes-green chilies mix.
Gently press the onions-tomatoes with the spatula, so that they stick to the batter.
Drizzle some oil on the sides and the top.
When the base is cooked and lightly browned, flip them gently.
Cook till the onions and tomatoes are light golden or golden.
Flip and serve hot. If you want you can flip a couple of times too for even cooking.
For making plain rava uttapam, cook them without any toppings.
Serve with coconut chutney or coriander chutney. They also go well with tomato ketchup.
- If making for kids then skip or reduce green chilies.
- You can also add chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix grated veggies like carrots, beetroots and finely shredded cabbage or finely chopped capsicum can also be added.
- You can also add grated cheese or paneer in the toppings.
- This recipe can be doubled or tripled.