oats halwa recipe
a delicious and quick oats halwa recipe made in less than twenty minutes.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- ½ cup mawa (khoya or evaporated milk solids) - grated or crumbled,
- 2 cups milk
- ⅓ cup sugar or add as required
- 6 to 7 cashews chopped (kaju) - optional
- 3 to 4 almonds chopped (badam) - optional
- 3 to 4 pistachios chopped (pista) - optional
- ⅛ teaspoon cardamom powder (choti elaichi powder)
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg powder (jaiphal powder)
- 1 pinch saffron strands (kesar) - optional
chop the dry fruits and keep all the ingredients ready for making oats halwa recipe.
heat 2 tablespoons ghee in a kadai or pan.
add 1 cup oats. stir well and saute for 2 to 3 minutes on a low flame.
then add 1/2 cup of crumbled or grated mawa or khoya.
begin to stir. stir and saute the mawa on a low flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
add 2 cups of milk and stir well.
then add 1/3 cup of sugar. stir and mix very well. simmer for 2 minutes, till the sugar dissolves.
then add chopped dry fruits and cook for more 2 minutes.
sprinkle a pinch of saffron strands and stir.
simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. keep stirring continuously.
then sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon cardamom powder and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg powder.
keep stirring and cooking for 2 to 3 minutes and you will see the oats halwa getting thickened.
switch off the flame when the milk has been absorbed and the oats halwa has thickened. do not thicken too much as the halwa will thicken more as it cools down.
serve oats halwa warm or at room temperature. you can also refrigerate the halwa and serve it chilled.
oats halwa stays good for 2 to 3 days in the fridge.
tips for making oats halwa recipe:
- adding dry fruits and saffron is optional. you can skip dry fruits if you want or you can add dry fruits of your choice.
- if you use rolled oats, then you will need to add more milk.
- you can even make oats halwa with a combination of half milk and half water.
Calories: 513kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 161mg | Potassium: 330mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 31g | Vitamin A: 680IU | Vitamin C: 0.3mg | Calcium: 424mg | Iron: 1.4mg