whole wheat nankhatai
easy recipe and method to make nankhatais with atta or whole wheat flour.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 300 grams
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (atta) or 125 grams whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoon besan (gram flour)
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda or ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt - do not add if using salted butter or ghee
- 70 grams cold salted or unsalted butter - approx ½ cup butter or 70 grams ghee in semi solid state
- ⅓ cup sugar or 70 grams sugar or 70 grams powdered sugar or approx ½ cup powdered sugar
- 4 to 5 green cardamoms (choti elaichi) - crushed lightly to remove the cover and the seeds kept
- 1 pinch saffron strands (kesar)
- ⅛ teaspoon grated nutmeg or nutmeg powder (jaiphal powder)
- 1 to 2 tablespoon milk
- 1 to 2 teaspoon butter or ghee for greasing baking tray
making whole wheat nankhatai dough:
in a grinder jar, take 1/3 cup sugar (70 grams), seeds from 4 to 5 green cardamoms, a pinch of safron strands and 1/8 tsp grated nutmeg.
grind to a fine powder. keep aside. if you have powdered sugar already, then use 1/2 cup of powdered sugar.
grease a tray or pan very well with 1 to 2 tsp butter or ghee. also preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius/356 degrees fahrenheit.
in a seive, take 1 cup whole wheat flour (atta), 2 tbsp besan and 1/4 tsp baking soda. add 1/4 tsp baking powder if you do not have baking soda.
sift the dry mixture very well in a mixing bowl or pan.
to the sifted flour mixture add approx 1/2 cup or 70 grams of cold or chilled butter. you can also use 1/2 cup of ghee in semi solid state.
with your fingertips break the butter and mix with the flour. you can cut the butter in the flour with two knives too. this can also be achieved with a food processor or a stand mixer. if the butter melts while mixing with your hands, then its fine.
mix till you get a bread crumb like texture in the mixture.
now add the powdered sugar and lightly mix with your hands.
add 1 to 2 tbsp milk. the amount of milk to be added depends on the quality of flour. the mixture should be able to come together and hold itself. if required you can also add overall 3 to 4 tbsp of milk. i added 2 tbsp milk. add the milk in parts and mix.
gently bring together the nankhatai dough into a ball. do not knead the dough. just gently mix.
making whole wheat nankhatai:
now pinch small or medium sized balls from the nankhatai dough and lightly roll them. place the balls on the greased baking tray.
you can gently press them to flatten them. you can also make designs on them with a fork or toothpick. i used a peda design maker to lightly flatten as well as to give a pattern on the top.
bake the nankhatai in the pre heated oven at 180 degrees C/356 degrees fahrenheit for 20-25 mins till light golden or golden.
since oven temperatures vary, it may takes less or more time. so do keep a check.
after 2 to 3 minutes, remove them from the tray and keep on a wire rack for cooling.
when cooled at room temperature, store nankhatai in an air tight jar. serve whole wheat nankhatai as a tea time cookie.