Spiced coconut based curry made with drumsticks (moringa oleifera). Recipe from the goan cuisine.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
- 200 grams Drumstick or 3 to 4 drumsticks
- 2 tablespoon Chopped onion
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 cup Water Or add as required
- Salt as required
- 1 to 2 tablespoon Chopped coriander leaves for garnish (optional)
For ground masala
- ½ cup Tightly packed grated coconut
- 2 to 3 Small to medium sized garlic - chopped
- 4 to 5 Black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- ½ tablespoon Coriander seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 2 to 3 Dry red chilies
- ½ teaspoon Tightly packed tamarind
- ½ tablespoon Chopped onion
- ⅔ to ¾ cup Water for grinding
Rinse, peel and chop the drumsticks into 4 to 5 inches pieces long.
Take all the ingredients for the ground masala paste in a grinder jar. Add ⅔ to ¾ cup water and grind to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add 2 tbsp chopped onions. Saute the onion still translucent.
Then add the ground masala paste. On a low flame, stirring often saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the chopped drumsticks.
Add 1 cup water or as required. Mix well. season with salt.
Cover the pan with a lid and simmer the curry till the drumsticks are cooked and softened.
Serve hot with steamed rice.
- If you want you can also add some potatoes in the curry.