One pot recipe of a spicy rice dish made with mixed veggies, rice, spices and herbs.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- 1 cup Heaped basmati rice Or 200 grams basmati rice
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 50 grams Onion Or 1 medium onion or ⅓ cup thinly sliced onions
- 75 grams Carrot Or 1 medium to large carrot or ⅓ to ½ cup chopped carrots
- 100 grams Potatoes Or 2 small potatoes or ½ cup chopped potatoes
- ⅛ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Lime Or lemon juice
- 1.75 cups Water
- Salt as required
For green chutney
- 1 cup Tightly packed coriander leaves Or 40 grams coriander leaves
- ¼ cup Mint leaves Or 5 grams mint leaves
- 2 tablespoon Fresh grated coconut (optional)
- 3 to 4 Garlic cloves - chopped
- ½ inch Ginger - chopped
- 2 to 3 Green chilies, Chopped, add just 1 green chilli for a less spicy taste
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 to 3 tablespoon Water for grinding
- 1 Medium tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Green cardamoms
- 3 to 4 Black peppers
- 1 or 2 Single strands of mace - optional
Rinse 1 cup of heaped basmati rice in water very well. Then soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes strain the rice of all the water and keep aside.
Meanwhile, when the rice is soaking, you can chop the veggies.
Also prepare the green chutney. Take all the ingredients mentioned under the list 'for green chutney' in a grinder jar.
Grind everything to a smooth and fine chutney. Keep aside.
making chutney pulao
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker. Add all the whole spices mentioned under the list 'whole spices'.
Saute the spices for a few seconds till they become fragrant.
Add ⅓ cup thinly sliced onions. Saute the onions on a low to medium flame, stirring at intervals, till they turn golden.
Now add the green chutney. Stir and saute for a minute.
Add the chopped veggies and turmeric powder. Mix the veggies very well with the chutney.
Add the rice. Gently stir and mix the rice with the rest of the ingredients.
Add 1.75 cups water, 1 tsp lemon juice.
Season with salt. Stir well.
Cover and pressure cook for 1 to 2 whistles or for 7 to 8 minutes on a medium to high flame.
When the pressure settles down on its own in the cooker, remove the lid. Gently fluff the cooked rice grains.
Serve green pulao hot with a side dish of raita, curd or a veggie salad. You can also garnish with some chopped mint or coriander leaves while serving.
To make in a pan or pot:
- Add 2 cups water. Cover tightly with a lid.
- Cook on a low flame till all the water is absorbed by the rice.