Quick and delicious south indian style capsicum fry.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 1 to 2
- 100 grams Capsicum (bell pepper) or 1 medium to large capsicum or ¾ cup chopped capsicum cubes
- 1 Small to medium potato Or ⅓ cup potato chopped in small cubes
- 1 tablespoon Sesame oil (sunflower oil can be used instead)
- ½ teaspoon Small mustard seeds
- 6 to 7 Curry leaves - chopped or 1 teaspoon chopped curry leaves
- 1 Green chili - chopped
- 1 pinch Asafoetida (hing)
- 1 pinch Turmeric powder (ground turmeric)
- Salt as required
- 1 tablespoon Chopped coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a small frying pan. Lower the flame and add 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds and let them crackle. They should make the crackling sound, before you proceed to the next step.
Once the mustard seeds have started crackling, then add 1 teaspoon chopped curry leaves, a pinch of asafoetida and 1 green chili (chopped). Stir well. Instead of green chili, 1 dry red chili can be added.
Add potatoes which have been chopped in small cubes. Do chop potatoes in small cubes, so that they cook quickly.
On sim or low flame with stirring at intervals, saute the potatoes. Spread them in the pan, so that they cook evenly.
Saute till the potatoes become light browned or slightly crisp from their surface and edges.
Now add chopped capsicum. The capsicum also have to be chopped in small pieces. Mix well.
Add a pinch of turmeric powder.
Mix again and saute on a low flame stirring after every 3 to 4 minutes. Spread the veggies in a pan, so that they cook evenly.
Saute till the capsicum edges also get golden. By the time the capsicum gets almost cooked, the potatoes will also be done. The capsicum in this recipe is not completely softened. There is a slight crunch in them.
Lastly season with salt as per taste. Mix very well.
Switch off the flame and add 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves. Mix again.
Serve capsicum fry with chapatis or a side with dal or any curry.
- Recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.
Calories: 223kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 161mg | Potassium: 499mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 3505IU | Vitamin C: 338.3mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 2.7mg