oats cheela recipe
besan oats chilla recipe - quick and easy chilla made with oats, gram flour, spices-herbs.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- ½ cup quick cooking oats or 70 grams quick cooking oats
- ½ cup besan (gram flour) or 50 grams besan
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion or 30 grams onions or 1 small onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped tomatoes or 50 grams tomatoes or 1 small tomato
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera) or carom seeds (ajwain)
- ½ inch ginger (adrak) - chopped
- 1 green chilli (hari mirch) - chopped
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- ¼ teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¾ cup water or add as required
- salt as required
- oil as required
making oats chilla batter
take ½ cup quick cooking oats in a mixer or grinder and grind to a fine powder.
take the ground oats flour in a mixing bowl. add 1/2 cup besan.
now add everything except for oil and water.
pour about 2/3 to 3/4 cup water.
with a wired whisk begin to mix everything. if the batter looks thick, then add 1 to 3 tbsp more water. i overall added 3/4 cup water. depending on the quality and texture of besan and oats, addition of water will be more or less.
whisk to a smooth flowing consistency in the batter without any lumps. break lumps if any while mixing batter.
making oats chilla
heat a tawa or a flat pan on a low flame. you can use an iron tawa or a non stick pan.
if using iron griddle or tawa, then spread a bit of oil on the tawa. let the pan become medium hot. then take a ladle full of the batter and pour on the pan.
gently with the back of the ladle, begin to spread the batter. spread lightly and gently so that the cheela does not break.
on a low to medium flame cook the oats cheela till the top begins to look cooked.
then drizzle ½ to 1 tsp oil on the chilla at the edges and all around. with a spoon spread the oil all over. skip oil if you want to prepare oil free oats chillas.
continue to cook till the base gets light golden. then flip.
now cook the other side of oats cheela.
cook this side till you see golden spots on the oats besan cheela.
fold and serve hot or warm. can also be packed in tiffin box.
serve oats cheelas plain or with any chutney of your choice or with tomato sauce.
tips for making oats cheela recipe:
- for small kids, skip the green chilies and red chili powder.
- recipe can be doubled or tripled.
- for rolled oats, grind in the same way. after making the batter, keep covered for 30 minutes.
Calories: 273kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1265mg | Potassium: 339mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 375IU | Vitamin C: 7.3mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 2.3mg