milagu rasam recipe
pepper rasam is a variation of spicy rasam made with black pepper, tamarind, tomatoes and other spices. good for cough & cold.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
for tamarind pulp
- ½ tablespoon tightly packed tamarind (imli)
- ¼ cup warm water
to be crushed coarsely
- 2 teaspoon black pepper (sabut kali mirch)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 4 to 5 medium garlic cloves (lahsun) - peeled or with their skins
other ingredients for milagu rasam
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (can also use sunflower or peanut oil)
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 sprig curry leaves (kadi patta) or 10 to 12 curry leaves - kept whole or chopped
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 2 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch) - kept whole and crowns removed
- 2 small tomatoes crushed or 85 grams tomatoes or ½ cup crushed or chopped tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder (lal mirch powder) - optional
- 2 cups water
- salt as required
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
to make the spice mix
whilst the tamarind is soaking, crush coarsely 2 teaspoons black pepper, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and 4 to 5 medium garlic (peeled or with their skins) in a mortar-pestle. you can also use a small grinder to coarsely crush these spices.
making milagu rasam
heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan or pot. add 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds first and let them crackle.
then add 2 dry red chilies and a generous pinch of asafoetida. stir and saute till the red chilies change color. do not burn them.
then add 2 small tomatoes which have been crushed and 10 to 12 curry leaves. you can also add 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes.
stir and saute till the tomatoes become pulpy and soft.
then add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder & 1/2 tsp red chilli powder.
now add the coarsely crushed mix of black pepper + cumin + garlic.
stir and mix well. then add tamarind pulp. add 2 cups water and mix again. season with salt.
simmer pepper rasam on a low to medium flame till the raw aroma of tamarind goes away. cook for about 9 to 10 minutes.
cover and allow pepper rasam to stand for 5 to 7 minutes. then lastly add 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves.
serve the milagu rasam plain or accompanied with rice, sambar and a side vegetable stir fry.