beetroot sabzi recipe
beetroot ki sabzi recipe - easy and healthy dry beetroot curry prepared in south indian style.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
for pressure cooking beetroots
- 2 medium to large beetroot or 1.5 cups chopped beetroot
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2.5 cups of water for pressure cooking the beetroots
other ingredients for beetroot sabzi
- 1.5 tablespoons oil
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seed (rai)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
- 1 pinch asafoetida hing
- 1 to 2 dry red chilies, broken into two and seeds removed (sookhi lal mirch)
- 1 to 2 green chilies, chopped finely (hari mirch)
- 10 to 12 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- ¼ cup of finely chopped onion or 1 small onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh grated coconut
- salt as per taste
rinse the beetroot first very well in water.
then add 2.5 cups of water in the pressure cooker. add the beetroot.
sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
pressure cook the beetroot for 3 to 4 whistles or for 7 to 8 minutes.
once the pressure drops down in the cooker on its own, remove the beetroot. you can use the water in soups, dals, rasams or to knead chapati dough.
when the beetroot, become warm, peel and chop them finely.
making beetroot sabji
heat a pan and then add 1.5 tablespoons oil.
when the oil becomes hot, reduce the flame to a low. then add ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds, ½ teaspoon cumin seeds, a generous pinch of asafoetida, 2 broken dry red chilies, 10 to 12 curry leaves and ¼ teaspoon turmeric.
saute until the mustard seeds and cumin seeds crackle on low flame.
then add 1/4 cup of finely chopped onions and 1 to 2 finely chopped green chilies.
saute the onions until they become translucent.
sprinkle salt as required. stir well.
add the boiled, chopped beetroot. mix and stir well.
cover with a lid and cook for 2 to 3 mins on a low flame.
since the beetroot is boiled, no need to cook the beetroot sabzi for a longer time.
remove the lid, stir the beetroot sabzi.
finally add 1/4 cup of fresh grated coconut.
stir well. after 1 to 2 mins switch off the flame.
serve beetroot sabzi as a side dish with your meals.
few tips for making beetroot sabzi
- you could use raw beetroot also for this recipe. but it will take a longer time to cook.
- if using raw beets, then finely chop or grate them. add some water to them while cooking. cover and cook them.
- if you don't have fresh coconut then use desiccated coconut. desiccated coconut also tastes good in the beetroot dry curry.
Calories: 129kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 1075mg | Potassium: 269mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 285IU | Vitamin C: 93.7mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg