Cheese dosa is an easy dosa variety made with leftover dosa batter, cheese, onions and herbs.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- 1.25 to 1.5 cups idli or dosa batter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, crushed or ⅓ to ½ teaspoon black pepper powder, optional
- ½ cup grated cheese or 50 to 60 grams grated cheese, can use processed cheese or mozzarella cheese.
- 2 to 3 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 to 2 teaspoon dried oregano or as required. (can add your choice of herbs)
- butter as required, you can also use oil,
Finely chop 1 large onion and 1 large tomato. Also grate the cheese and keep aside.
Take the batter and with a spoon stir a few times. If the batter is refrigerated, then let it come to room temperature.
Heat a skillet or tawa. Grease it with oil.
You can do this either with a cooking brush dipped in a bit of oil or with a small piece of kitchen napkin (paper or cotton) or a halved onion.
spreading dosa batter to make cheese dosa
Keep the flame to a low and take a spoon or ladle full of the dosa batter.
As soon as you pour the batter, begin to gently spread the batter. cook on a low flame.
When the top is getting cooked, sprinkle some chopped onions on top.
Then add some chopped tomatoes.
Now sprinkle dried or fresh herbs. I used some chopped fresh basil and dried oregano.
making cheese dosa
Sprinkle grated cheese all over.
Continue to cook dosa on a low flame. The cheese will also start melting.
At the same time, spread some butter at the sides and on the top. You can also use oil instead of butter.
Cook till the base becomes nicely golden and the top of the cheese dosa is also cooked.
Then lift the cheese dosa and fold a part of one side. Overlap the second part.
Serve butter cheese dosa with coconut chutney or sambar. You can also serve it with tomato chutney or onion chutney.