Sabudana kheer is a sweet pudding made with tapioca pearls or sabudana and milk.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- ½ cup sabudana (tapioca pearls) - for a denser kheer, you can add ⅔ to ¾ cup sabudana
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 4 to 5 tablespoon sugar or organic unrefined cane sugar or add as required
- 4 to 5 green cardamoms , husked and crushed in a mortar-pestle to a semi fine powder
- 2 tablespoon chopped cashews
- ½ tablespoon raisins
- 3 to 4 saffron strands - optional
Rinse the sabudana pearls till the water runs clear of the starch.
Take a thick bottomed pan or sauce pan in which you will be making the kheer.
Add the rinsed sabudana pearls and water in the pan.
Cover and let the pearls get soaked in the water for 15 to 20 minutes.
making sabudana kheer
Later keep this pan on the stove top and begin to cook the sabudana pearls.
Meanwhile heat or warm the milk too. No need to boil the milk.
After 4 to 5 minutes, add the milk to the pan and continue to cook.
Add sugar and cardamom powder and simmer till the pearls have cooked well for about 20 to 25 minutes on a low to medium flame.
Keep on stirring occasionally.
Switch off the fire and add cashews and raisins.
Garnish with saffron strands.
Serve sabudana kheer hot or warm or cold.
Calories: 456kcal | Carbohydrates: 78g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 120mg | Potassium: 460mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 40g | Vitamin A: 395IU | Vitamin C: 0.8mg | Calcium: 306mg | Iron: 1.8mg