apple pie recipe - an easy to make vegan apple pie spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 2 to 3
for apple pie crust
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (atta)
- ½ cup all purpose flour (maida)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup water at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon salt or as required
for apple pie filling
- 2 medium sized apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder (dal chini powder)
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg powder or grated nutmeg (jaiphal)
- 2 tablespoon whole wheat flour (atta)
- 2 tablespoon demerara sugar (or brown sugar or regular sugar)
- a few dots of oil or butter to top the filling
other ingredients for apple pie
- some cinnamon powder and organic unrefined cane sugar (or brown sugar or regular sugar) for sprinkling
- few teaspoons of soy milk (or almond milk or dairy milk) for glazing
preparation to make apple pie
seive or mix all the dry ingredients together - whole wheat flour, all purpose flour and salt.
add the olive oil and with your fingers mix the oil in the flour evenly to get a breadcrumb consistency. this step should be done properly and this results in giving a flaky texture to the crust. the whole mixture should look like breadcrumbs.
add water and just bind the whole mixture together. don't knead. gather everything and form a dough. don't over do.
peel, core and slice the apples.
mix the cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder, demerara sugar and whole wheat flour into the apples.
preheat your oven.
grease your pie pan or pans with olive oil.
making apple pie
divide the dough into two or four equal parts depending on the size of your pie pans.
roll the divided parts of the dough on a dusted work surface.
cover the rolled pie crusts with a napkin so that they don't dry out.
place one of the rolled pie crust gently on a greased pan and press it towards the bottom and the edges.
arrange the apple slices with the filling evenly on the bottom pie crust.
top the apple slices with dots of butter or a few drops of olive oil.
cover the pan with another rolled pie crust and fold the edges of the top crust over and under the bottom edges. flute the edges.
you can also cut strips from the rolled dough and create a lattice pie crust.
cut through the top pie crust with a fork or knife from top so as to allow steam to pass whilst baking.
brush with soy milk or any milk and sprinkle some sugar and cinnamon powder on top.
bake the apple pies in a pre heated oven at 180 degrees C for 50-60 mins or till the crust has become golden and crisp.
serve the apple pie warm or when at room temperature.
you can refrigerate or freeze the pies. wrap the apple pies when they completely cool down in a cling film or store them in an air tight container and refrigerate or freeze.