punjabi wadi chawal - wadis are spiced & sun dried lentil dumplings.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
- 1.5 cups rice
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 8 to 10 wadis
- 3.5 cups water
- 2 tablespoon oil or ghee
- salt as required
- a few coriander leaves for garnishing (dhania patta)
heat oil in a pan.
splutter the cumin seeds.
add chopped onion and then fry till golden.
now add ginger-garlic paste and fry till the raw aroma disappears.
add tomatoes and fry them till they become pulpy.
now add all the dry spice powders plus green chilies and saute the whole masala till the oil separates.
add the rice and mix well.
rinse the wadis in water and add it to the rice. pour water.
add salt and cover the pan. cook the rice till done.
serve wadi chawal hot garnished with coriander leaves.
- you can also make the wadi chawal in pressure cooker. in this case just add 3 cups water.
- the recipe can also be made in ghee instead of oil.