garam masala rice
spiced rice recipe - an aromatic rice recipe flavored with garam masala or whole spices.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
for cooking rice
- 1.5 cups rice, i used basmati rice
- 4 to 5 cups of water for cooking rice
- salt as required
- 1 tablespoon of ghee or oil
- 1 pinch salt
whole spices for garam masala rice
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 inches cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 7 to 8 whole black peppers (sabut kali mirch)
- 1 to 2 star anise (chakri phool)
- 4 to 5 cloves (lavang)
- ½ of a mace (javitri)
- 4 to 5 green cardamoms (hari elaichi or choti elaichi)
- 1 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 2 tej patta (indian bay leaves)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
other ingredients for garam masala rice:
- 1 tablespoon ghee or oil
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced onions or 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
rinse 1.5 cups of rice very well in water till the water runs clear of starch.
then in a pan, take rinsed rice, 4 to 5 cups of water and salt as required.
place the pan on stove top on a medium flame.
cook the rice without a lid. do keep a check. the rice should take about 15 to 20 mins to cook. once the rice grains are cooked, then switch off the flame.
strain the rice over a colander. allow the rice to cool.
tempering garam masala rice
later, heat a pan. then add ghee/oil in it.
lower the flame and then add all the whole spices.
saute until they crackle and leave aroma. sprinkle a pinch of salt
sprinkle a teaspoon of garam masala powder, stir and mix nicely.
add the steamed rice.
mix everything very well and switch off the gas.
then add a tablespoon of chopped coriander leaves. keep aside,
for the garnish
heat a tablespoon of ghee in a small tadka pan or a small pan.
saute the sliced onions until golden brown.
garnish the fried onions on the rice. serve garam masala rice with your favorite dal and veg gravy.
Calories: 448kcal | Carbohydrates: 81g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 878mg | Potassium: 202mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 265IU | Vitamin C: 3.3mg | Calcium: 67mg | Iron: 1.9mg